I generally like to pack buy all my ingredients on Saturday and prep my lunches for the week on Sunday. Prepping my lunches in advance keeps me from making unhealthy choices.
My favourite way of making my salads is in a mason jar. It keeps the leaves from going soggy, and pickles the heartier vegetables like cucumbers and carrots. The key to making the salad stay fresh all week is all in the layering.
- The first step is to add your dressing, I typically put enough to coat the bottom of that jar (approximately 2-3 tablespoons)
- Next you add the heartier vegetables that will be soaking in the dressing-such as carrots, sugar snaps, beetroot, fennel, peppers, and cucumber
- Then you add the beans, grains, pasta
- Now its time to add the proteins and cheese (I fluctuate between shrimp, salmon, and roast chicken)
- Next you add the more fragile vegetables such as avocado, tomatoes
- Finally you add the leafy greens
- Sprinkle on top with seeds, nutritional yeast, or quinoa
- Cover the top and it will store for up to 5 days as long as you don’t shake the jar until its ready to be consumed
Here is my Salad for the Week: